Saturday, February 9, 2008

JKR Talks Religion, Dursleys, and 2008 Presidential Election

Spanish newspaper El Pais has published a new interview with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling. In the interview JKR discusses, among many things, religion, the Dursleys, and the US presidential election.

“I feel very drawn to religion, but at the same time I feel a lot of uncertainty. I live in a state of spiritual flux. I believe in the permanence of the soul.”

Concerning the Dursley family where she jokes that “I thought readers would imagine they were protected and later they left their hiding place. I will have to write a Book 8!”

Next, Jo comments on the upcoming 2008 US presidential election, noting she is “obsessed with United States elections, because it will have a deep affect felt worldwide.” She continues on this subject and comments briefly on the current Democratic party leading contenders, Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton:

“The international political stance of United States has been wrong in previous years, for its own and for my country… I want a democrat in the White House. It’s sad Obama and Clinton are rivals because they are both great.”

Jo says this of Senator Clinton’s Time Magazine cover which shows the Presidential candidate with a small tear:

“She can cry often. Politics can be very hard for women. If you don’t cry, you are a bitch. And if you cry, you are weak. However, a man could cry.”

Thanks to Harry Latino via Leaky.

No comments: